Wednesday, February 24, 2010

What is Patriotism?


Today, Lyle’s elementary in school in La Manzanilla, Mexico offered a flag presentation. Once everyone was lined up and in place the 6th graders marched out replicas of the various flags Mexico has had over the years. Then director approached the microphone and announced he would recite the Pledge of allegiance.

All the children and parents dutifully raised their hands to their chests (including Rick and I) and recited the pledge. Lyle raised his hand and half-heartily mouthed the words (afterwards he told me he didn’t really know what the words were). But as I watched him, it occurred to me Rick and I had never talked to him about pledging allegiance or patriotism.

After the ceremony, as the children raced back to their classrooms, I started thinking about patriotism, countries and flags. Do we really need to pledge an allegiance without understanding the meaning? How do we balance Lyle’s US heritage with a worldview? How do we convey allegiance to principles of liberty and justice, humanity and generosity, to all regardless of birth nation?

If I teach him to pledge, just to be dutiful and polite then I’m sending the wrong message. Duty and politeness over principles is never the correct choice.

1 comment:

Leslie Harris said...

This is a hard one. And it really depends on how you, your hubby and Lyle feel.

I struggled with it too when I first moved to Mexico.

My Hubby is Mexican, so we stood during "Los Honores" out of respect for him, but didn't place our hands over our hearts.

When my children started school, Hope was taught to place her hand over her heart. Part of me felt that this wasn't right, because it wasn't the country of her birth.

But then I realized that just because it wasn't her birth country, didn't mean she couldn't pledge allegiance. This her father's country. But it is also the country where she has spent most of her life. (Almost 10 years now.)

Now all of us choose to stand and place our hands over our heart, not only out of respect but out of love for our adopted country!

I'm raising my children to embrace both of their heritages.

I hope you'll share the message you're going to teach your son. :D