Friday, November 14, 2008

Hey, I'm not on vacation!


My great friend of nearly 20 years just came to visit my here in lovely La Manzanilla.

Guess what? This is my life and I’m not on vacation. She asked me how much money she should bring. I told her she couldn’t possibly spend more then $25 a day. I buy a ¼ kilo of tortillas every other day, a few eggs, some cheese, fruits, and vegetables every day, eat out at the taco stands a couple nights a week, drink a beer or two every night, no more than $25 a day.

WRONG! When you’re on vacation you drink margaritas at the beach, snack on shrimp ceviche, and have eggs Benedict at Café Risa. - $25 a day ain’t gonna cut it. Who knew?

And, we have school, homework, oh and did I mention I work! It was a great visit but I have a lot of catching up to do.

Duh, when people come to visit they are coming for a vacation. Not sure why I didn’t get that…but now I do.

3 comments:

Steve Cotton said...

I have not tried the Cafe Risa. But Eggs Benedict would be good any time -- especially on a work day.

Frankly Ronda said...

I hear ya! We are NOT on vacation -we still have all the same responsibilities as if we lived in US.

If we are not careful life CAN be very expensive. Like you we try to live modestly and allocate out our experiences that cost more.

40licious said...

You can spend any amount of money, anywhere, any time. I think the "take advantage of the poor local economy" vacation for Americans is a thing of the past. But whatever. Vive la Bohemia!