Saturday, February 7, 2009

La Manzanilla kids don't like carrots

Every 24 days we are responsible for bring "Refugerio" or lunch for the 24 kids in Lyle's kinder class.

We've done Spaghetti- big hit.

Chicken and rice- not such a big hit-we didn't cook the rice correctly and is was mushy.

This time my husband and I thought we'd do PB&J sandwiches on whole wheat, apple slices and carrot sticks. Yes, before you gasp about the peanuts, I talked with the teacher peanut allergies, she'd never heard of such a thing as an allergy to peanuts.

We show up with our lunch and served it up. Only 2 of the 24 kids opted for the carrot sticks and one was our kid!

Conclusion- Kinder kids in La Manzanilla don't like carrots and you are not going to make any friends by serving them.

When I shared this story with a client, her advice, "Twinkies, baby!"

3 comments:

Steve Cotton said...

I had lunch with about 20 high school classmates. (We graduated in '67.) We talked about this odd development of food allergies among American children. None of us could recall a single person with a food allergy -- and most of us knew one another from kindergarten through high school. What has happened? I don't have any answers. I'm just asking.

You might try serving a giant cake, as well. I find that works as a great stomach filler. But, I guess that is simply a variation on the Twinkies suggestion.

Frankly Ronda said...

LOL. My Youngest Son loves carrots!

VisitLaManzanilla said...

I read somewhere that most counties eat raw or boilded nuts but in the US we roast them and the roasting process is what creates the allergic reaction.