Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Summer, American Style

Not sure what I was thinking. From La Manzanilla I made arrangements for Lyle to have gymnastics and karate classes this summer. Didn’t seem like a big deal, 2 nights a week a couple of fun classes to pass the time.

I’m so organized that I thought he might enjoy a couple of weeks of day camp as well so I booked a week of “mad science” and a week of “adventure quest.” I forgot that he is used to the La Manzanilla school day, 9-12, 3 hours a day 4 or 5 days a week.

US day camp starts at 8:30 and ends at 3:30 and then heap on top of that karate and gymnastics.

We made it through the first week of camp but the weekend was all about banking sleep. Lyle rarely naps but Saturday and Sunday saw afternoon naps close to 4 hours each.

Second week of camp- forget it. He was too tired for karate and gymnastics and by Thursday so grumpy that we had a skip day the last day of camp, opting for an Avatar marathon on the couch.

Poor kid. I wanted to try to fit in lots of experiences he won't get in Mexico, but all I did was wear him out.

1 comment:

Frankly Ronda said...

Having returned with Oldest Son this week - I KNOW what you are talking about - it is easy to get swept back into the kid whirlwind in the US. Oldest Son (age 9!) feel asleep in the car 3 times this past week! Oh my.